Cambodia

Country Profile
 

Kingdom of Cambodia
(Reacheanachak Kampuchea)

Key Facts

Date of Independence:
9 November 1953
Capital City:
Phnom Penh
Total Area Ranking:
90 of 236 in the World
Population Size Ranking:
69 of 242 in the World
Status:
current

The Country

Geography

Cambodia is located in the southwestern part of the Indochinese Peninsula in Southeast Asia. It is bordered by Thailand to the west and northwest, Laos to the northeast, Vietnam to the east and southeast and the Gulf of Thailand to the southwest.

Much of the country is taken up with a low-lying alluvial plain which covers about 75% of the country. At it’s centre lies the Tonle Sap (Great Lake), which quadruples in size during the rainy season, depositing silt and giving a rich fish harvest. The Mekong River flows for more than 500 km (300 miles) through the eastern part of the country. Seasonal flooding by the Mekong results in good farmland. The principle crop is rice, for which Cambodia is almost self-sufficient. Surrounding the central plain are densely forrested hills, the highest peak, Phnom Aural reaches 1,831 m (5,948 ft).

Cambodia has a total land area is 181,035 sq km (69,898 sq miles). The largely homogeneous population has increased from 7.7 million in 1975 to 10.8 million in 2000. 94% of the population are ethnic Khmers, along with 4% Chinese, 1% Vietnamese and 1% others. Theravada Buddhism is practiced by 95% of the population, with other religions making up the remaining 5% of the population. The capital city is Phnom Penh.

Loading map...

Loading

National History

Summary Narrative History

Timeline – Key Dates in Cambodia History

Final Battle – The Mayaguez Rescue Operation

Further National Information

BBC News Profile: Cambodia
wikipedia: Cambodia
wikipedia: History of Cambodia
CIA The World Factbook – Cambodia
Cambodia Information Center
Cambodia – History
History of Cambodia
MSN Encarta – Cambodia

Aviation

Text to be added on the development of aviation in Cambodia.

Markings

Civil Aircraft Registrations

In the French colonial era, from 1929 onwards, civil aircraft were registered in the series F-KHAA to F-KHZZ. Upon independence in 1953, the temporary identity prefix KW-xxx was adopted. The prefix KH-xxx is also reported to have been used. In 1954, a permament registration prefix of XU-xxx was allocated, eg. DC-3 XU-HAK. After the communist take-over a switch to numerical registrations was made, eg. An-24 XU-314.
Steve Darke’s Cambodian Civil Aircraft Register is quite detailed

Aircraft Operators

Military Air Arms

Current military air arms-
Air Force (Royal Cambodian Air Force) [1993-Present]

Historical military air arms- (See Air Force above for further details)
Air Force (Aviation Royale Khmere) [1954-1970]
Air Force (Khmer Air Force) [1970-1975]
Air Force (Air Force of the Kampuchean Liberation Army) [1975-1979]
Air Force (Kampuchean People’s Air Force) [1985-1992]
Rebel Air Force (Heng Samrin Air Force) [19??-19??]

Central Government Agencies

Government Aviation

Public Service Aviation

No information

Commercial Aviation

Air Cambodia
Air Kampuchea/Kampuchea Airlines (became Cambodian Airlines 1992)
Cambodia Airlines Co.
Cambodia International Airlines
Cambodian Airlines (taken over by Royal Air Cambodge)
First Cambodia Airlines
Helicopers Cambodia
Phnom Penh Airways
President Airlines
Royal Air Cambodge
Royal Air Cambodia
Royal Phnom Penh Airways
Siem Reap Airways

wikipedia: Airlines of Cambodia
The World’s Airlines: Cambodia

Private Aviation

To be added

Industry

Aircraft Manufacturers

None.

Aircraft Maintenance/Repair Depots

None known.

Airfields

Civil Airports & Airfields

Civil Airports and Airfields Listing
Airports in Cambodia

Military Air Bases & Airfields

Military Air Bases Listing

On Show

Aviation Museums

The Cambodian War Museum, at Siem Reap, has Shenyang F-6C serial number 30-950, Mil Mi-8 XU-814 and an unidentified MiG-15 on outdoor display. All are in very poor condition. (The F-6C was previously with the Cambodian Army Museum in Phnom Penh and moved to its present location circa 2002).

Airshow Dates

Key Airshow Dates

More Information

Aviation-Related Magazines

None known.

Aviation Bibliography

Cambodian Aviation Bibliography – to be added

Web Links

General Aviation in Cambodia
(Useful information on operators, airports, landing fees and legal requirements)
Cambodia Flying Club
(Information for private pilots flying in Cambodia)
Aviation Safety Network Cambodia
(Listing of aircraft crashes in Cambodia since 1964)
Khmer Air Force 1954-1975

Like this post?

Leave a Comment

See us on Facebook