Mongolia

Country Profile
 

Mongolia
(Mongyol ulus)

Key Facts

Date of Independence:
29 December 1911
Capital City:
Ulan Bator
Total Area Ranking:
19 of 236 in the World
Population Size Ranking:
140 of 242 in the World
Status:
current

The Country

Geography

Mongolia is a landlocked country located in East Asia. It is bordered by Russia to the north and China to south, east and east.

The terrain in Mongolia is mostly steppes (grassland), with very little arable land. About 11% of the land is forested. Mountains are located in the north and west, and the Gobi Desert is in the south. About 30% of the population is nomadic or semi-nomadic, while about 45% of the remainder live in the capital city, Ulan Bator.

Mongolia has a total land area of 1,564,116 sq km (603,909 sq miles) and had a population of 2.89 million in 2013. The main ethnic groups are Mongol 95%, with Russian, Chinese, Korean and American making up the other 5%.

Loading map...

Loading

National History

Summary Narrative History

Timeline – Key Dates in Mongolia History

Further National Information

BBC News Profile: Mongolia
wikipedia: Mongolia
wikipedia: History of Mongolia

Aviation

Text to be added on the development of aviation in Mongolia.

Markings

Civil Aircraft Registrations

Mongolia civil aircraft used the registration sequence MT-1000 to MT-9999 from 1945 before switching to the sequence JU-1000 to JU-9999 some time before 2005.

All-time Mongolia – civil aircraft register (MONGOL-nnn bNMAY-nnn MT-nnn JU-nnn).
[Get involved with the Aeroflight Cloud.]

Aircraft Operators

Military Air Arms

Air Force (Mongolian Air Force)

Central Government Agencies

Government Aviation – VIP transport is provided by commercial airlines under charter

Public Service Aviation

Medical Aviation – EMS services up to 1990 were provided by MIAT. There is currently no EMS service.
Police Aviation – no aviation unit

Commercial Aviation

Air Mongolia

wikipedia: Airlines of Mongolia
The World’s Airlines: Mongolia

Private Aviation

To be added

Industry

Aircraft Manufacturers

None at present.

Aircraft Maintenance/Repair Depots

None known.

Airfields

Civil Airports & Airfields

Airports in Mongolia

Military Air Bases & Airfields

Military Air Bases Listing – to be added.

On Show

Aviation Museums

Military Museum of Mongolia

Airshow Dates

Key Airshow Dates

More Information

Aviation-Related Magazines

None known.

Aviation Bibliography

To be added

Web Links

Civil Aviation Authority of Mongolia
Blue Sky Aviation
Thomas Air

Leave a Comment