The Cyprus Government Aviation Unit was first established in 1967, when a single helicopter was acquired for VIP transport and liaison duties. The unit ceased to function after the Turkish invasion of the north of the country in 1974. The helicopter was retired and sold off.
In 1986 the Government Aviation Unit was re-established and a new helicopter acquired. A second, larger, helicopter was obtained in 1989. In 1992 this second machine was handed over to the Police Air Wing, and a year later the remaining helicopter was transferred to the Air Force. The Unit was then closed permanently.
|1967||Aviation Unit first established.|
|1974||Government helicopter retired.|
|1986||Aviation Unit re-established.|
|1993||Aviation Unit disbanded.|
The Aviation Unit was disbanded in 1993.
The national flag is carried as a fin flash. No service titles were carried.
Aircraft Serial Numbers
All Government helicopters carried Cypriot civil registrations in the 5B-xxx series, e.g. 5B-ICL.
Coding system not used
None – Manufacturers designations used
Current Aircraft Inventory
All-Time Aircraft Used List
Click on aircraft type for more details
|Aircraft Type||Quantity||Service Entry||Retirement||Origin|
|Bell 206L-3 LongRanger III||1||1986||1993||USA|
|Fairchild Hiller FH-1100||1||1967||1974||USA|
Aircraft NOT Used
No false reports known.
Cyprus Government Aviation Unit, Nicosia.
The Government Aviation Unit had no sub-ordinate units.
Current Unit Assignments
Historical Unit Assignments
All-Time Flying Units List
Current Air Bases
All-Time Air Bases Used List
All helicopters were based at Nicosia Airport.
Cyprus Aviation Bibliography – to be added
No feature articles known.
Militair 1982 (Aviation Press) p.52
European Air Forces Directory 2012/13 (Mach III)