This section describes and illustrates the various national insignia used by the Hungarian Air Force since its formation:
Main MarkingFin Flash
When the Hungarian Air Force was re-established on 14 April 1948, it adopted a new marking that consisted of a green disc inside a white triangle on a red disc – similar to the modern Lebanese marking but with a smaller green disc. The national colours were carried as horizontal fin and/or rudder stripes.
On 15 November 1949 a new roundel was adopted, to indicate the shift to communist rule. This consisted of a red star within green and red rings – similar to the North Korean marking, but with green instead of blue. The same roundel was used on the fin in place of the traditional stripes.
For the remainder of the communist era, the main marking consisted of a red star with a white and green roundel in the centre. It was displayed on the fuselage sides and above and below each wing, and also on the fin on aircraft. During the Hungarian Uprising of October 1956 the Hungarian flag was painted over the red stars on some rebel aircraft.
Upon the fall of the communist regime at the end of 1990, the main marking was replaced by a chevron marking within a disc.
On 31 January 1991 the traditional pre-war chevron marking was re-introduced. The main marking is displayed on the fuselage sides of the helicopters, and in the standard four wing positions and on the tail fin on aircraft. Aircraft do not carry service titles.