Back to Air Force Index Page
(Motto: 'Speed and Courage')
The re-establishment of the SRAF in 1947 saw the creation of a 'Communications Flight', which was sometimes referred to as No.1 Squadron. A new No.1 Squadron, manned by regulars, was formed to operate the Spitfire F.22 in March 1951. The unit converted to the Vampire FB.9 in 1956. The squadron took the Vampires on their first overseas 6-week deployment to RAF Khormaksar on 14 January 1958. Annual overseas deployments continued until 1963. Re-equipment with the Hunter commenced in 1963, with the existing Vampires going to No.2 Sqn. The Hunters were operated in the ground attack role during most of their life. After UDI no delivery of spare parts was possible, but high serviceability rates continued. No.1 Sqn created a four-man formation aerobatic team which gave displays in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Hunters were operated from Thornhill until 2002, when they were finally retired.
||March 1951 - October 1952
||October 1952 - 1962
||1962 - Present
|Spitfire F.22||10||March 1951 - early 1954|| ||SR59,SR63,SR67
|Vampire FB.9||16||November 1953 - late 1962|| ||RRAF101,RRAF106,RRAF112
|Hunter FGA.9||12||Dec 1962 - 2002|| ||RRAF117, 1188
|Hunter FGA.80||4||1981 - 2002|| ||1082, 1038, 1801, 8100
|Hunter T.81||1||1981 - 2002|| ||1084
Thanks to xxx for updating this information.