Back to Air Force Index Page
(Motto: 'Strike From Above')
This unit was first established in late 1951 to operate the second batch of Spitfire F.22s delivered to Southern Rhodesia. It disbanded in early 1954 when the type was withdrawn.
In January 1956 the squadron was reformed at New Sarum to provide flying training for new recruits but disbanded in June 1957. It reformed at Thornhill in September 1957, again in the flying training role, but disbanded a year or two later.
No. 2 Squadron reformed again in March 1960 to provide instructor training on the Provost T.52 and Vampire T.11. It became an advanced flying training and operational conversion unit in 1963, when additional Vampires were received from No.1 Sqn. The unit's pilots were also tasked with security duties using the Provosts and ground attack/day fighter roles with the Vampires.
In the early 1980s the unit was re-quipped with the Hawk.
||late 1951 - early 1954
||January 1956 - June 1957 |
||September 1957 - 1959
||March 1960 - Present
|Spitfire F.22||9||Dec 1951 - early 1954|| ||SR81,SR85,SR89
|Vampire FB.9||8||1955 - November 1977|| ||S5-DGH
|Vampire T.11||16||March 1960 - November 1977|| ||RRAF402,406,413
|Provost T.52||?||March 1960 - ?|| ||
|Vampire FB.52||13||November 1974 - late 1981|| ||R1829,R1318,R1378
|Vampire T.55||21||1969 - ?|| ||R4126,R4223,R4323
|Hawk Mk.60/60A||12||July 1982 - Present|| ||601,606,611
Thanks to xxx for updating this information.