Back to Units Index Page
Dornier Do28B serial 005 at the Hatzerim Museum
(100 Tayeset "Ha'Kamal Ha'Meofeef" - The Flying Camel Squadron)
Role: Utility Transport
One of the largest units in the IDF/AF, the origins of 100 sqn go back to the single light aircraft unit formed by Shinn Aleph, the air arm of Haganah, prior to independence. The Tel Aviv squadron was created on 27th December 1947, from an assorted collection of civilian (mostly ex-flying club) light aircraft, in anticipation of the declaration of the state of Israel. The aircraft operated in support of Jewish groups in Palestine, flying liaison, reconnaissance and supply sorties - while at the same time trying to avoid alerting the British authorities to their activities.
However, by April 1948, civil war had broken out between Jew and Palestinian Arab. The Tel Aviv squadron had been joined by two other lightplane units, (the Negev and Galilee), which were forced to take on the additional roles of air
ambulance and light attack. Upon the creation of Israel, on May 14th 1948, the Shin Aleph became the Sherut Avir (Israeli Air Service) and Israel's arab neighbours invaded, initiating the War of Independence. On 27th May 1948, the Sherut Avir became the Heyl Ha'Avir (Israeli Air Force).
In June 1949 100 sqn was formed by amalgamating the remnants of these three light aircraft units into one squadron (at Tel Nof/Ekron). After amalgamation many of the ex-civilian types were retired, although several types listed in the above tables served with 100 sqn into the 1950s. In
1951 the unit moved to Ramleh, but when this base was closed in 1959 it moved again to its present base at Sde Dov. On 29 October 1956, the unit had deployed 11 Piper Super Cubs at Beersheba and 4 more at Eilat. The Super Cubs again proved invaluable during the Suez campaign, flying liaison
and light supply missions direct to the ground forces in the Sinai.
During the 1960s the unit gradually converted to more modern equipment in the form of the Cessna 185 and Cessna 206C Super Skywagon. The Pipers were passed to the Flight School for primary flying training. Due to the large size of the squadron, it is likely that the aircraft are actually
grouped into a number of flights deployed at bases around the country.
In 1964, a substantial number of Do27Q and Do27A were donated by West Germany for AOP use. This unit has operated the Do28B since 1971 for general cargo and personnel transport around the various IDF bases. The type is also used for internal anti-terrorist patrols, including one incident (on 30 May 1990) in which an unarmed aircraft on coastal patrol resorted to repeatedly swooping on
a terrorist gang until they could be arrested by ground forces. Following this incident, consideration was given to arming the type.
The large number of Cessna U206s quoted has now dwindled to around 24 and are shared with 129 sqn. The current base is Sde Dov.
The wreck of Dornier Do27A serial 033
Close-up of the unit marking on 033
|Two Do28s set off on a regular coastal patrol mission. (photo, Israeli Air Force)|
|Flying along the coast. Note the difference in aerial configuration above the wing.|
(photo, Israeli Air Force)
|Piper L-4 Cub||2+||June 1949 - 1949+||-||
|PA-18 Super Cub||100||June 1949 - 1960s||-||
|Beech Bonanza||1||June 1949 - 1950s ||-||
|Hiller 360||2||May 1951 - Nov 1956||-||
|Fokker S.11||41||mid 1953 - end 1954||-||
|Cessna 182||4||1960s - 1994+||1||2021,035,
|Cessna 185||1||1962 - 1982+||1||004
|Do27A/Q||35||1964 - 1986||1||09,15,019,037
|Cessna U206C||41||1968 - Present||1||215,047,
|Do28B-1||14||1971 - Present||1||011,012,020,024,026,005,006
|Beech King Air 200||1||? - Present||1||
Figure 1 courtesy of Amos Dor