Negev Squadron
Aeroflight Home Page
 World Air Forces
Back to Units Index Page

Israel
Air Force


Unit History


Negev Squadron

("Ha'Negev/Camel Squadron")
Role: Liaison/Light attack

This unit was responsible for air operations in southern Israel during the War of Independence. It was first formed on 10 March 1948 at Nir'Am (near the Negev Brigade's headquarters) under the command of Ezer Weizman. It's first equipment was a couple of newly refurbished ex-RAF Austers. In late June 1948 it was designated 2 Squadron. It was based at Dorot from mid May 1948 and conducted operations from Beersheba in later stages of the War Of Independence. Peak strength was only 7 aircraft. In May 1949, the unit was amalgamated into the newly formed 100 Squadron.

Air Bases:
Base Duration
Nir'Am 10 Mar 1948 - 16 May 1948
Dorot 16 May 1948 - late 1948
Beersheba late 1948 - May 1949

Aircraft Used:
Type Qty Service Badge Example Serials
Auster AOP.3110 Mar 1948 - 17 May 1948-VQ-PAS/1
Auster AOP.5410 Mar 1948 - May 19491VQ-PAI/2,
A-4,A-9,0106
Piper L-4 Cub4+Oct 1948 - May 19491A-52,0404,0408
Grumman Widgeon2late June 1948 - May 1949-B-72,B-73

Unit Insignia:
Figure 1
to be added



^ Top of Page  << Last Page   Index Page   Next Page >>  Site Search 
First Created: 16 January 1998 - Last Revised: 4 December 1999
Copyright © 1998 John Hayles.     e-mail: john@aeroflight.co.uk