Maltese Military Air Bases and Airfields
Aeroflight Home Page
 World Air Forces
Back to Air Force Index Page

Malta
Air Force

Islander 9H-ACU in it's original colour scheme.
(photo: Estelle Calleja via armedforcesofmalta.com)


Military Air Bases and Airfields

This page gives details of some of the air bases and airfields which are, or have been, used by the Armed Forces of Malta and allied countries. A map of Maltese airfields in WW2 can be seen here.

Hal Far
Hal Far was built soon after WW1 as a shore base for aircraft with the British Mediterranean Fleet. It was opened on 16 January 1923, and initially attached to Calafrana. RAF Station Hal Far was officially formed on 31 March 1929, becoming a separate unit on 18 June 1929. It remained under RAF control throughout WW2. On 15 April 1946 it was transferred to the Fleet Air Arm as HMS Falcon. On 1 September 1965 it was returned to the RAF. Between September 1978 and mid 1980 the AFM Helicopter Flight operated a support facility here, but despite various reports no helicopter operations were flown from here. It was closed as an airfield in January 1979 and handed over to the Maltese Government. The site is now an industrial estate. The base was located in the far south of the island of Malta.
Runway data: Rwy ?, Size: ? x ? ft, Elev: ? ft.

Kalafrana
Opened in July 1916 as a Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) seaplane station. Used between the wars as an RAF base for both shore and ship based seaplanes, being known as Calafrana until reverting to the original spelling of Kalafrana in December 1936. Later used during and after WW2 by the RAF as a flying boat station. Handed over to the Royal Navy on 30 June 1946. Exact location? Current status - presumed disused.
Runway data: harbour?

Luqa (ICAO code: LMML)
Luqa is the international airport for Malta. The airfield was built by the RAF and first opened in June 1940, before being extensively expanded in the next three years. RAF Luqa was handed back to Malta on 31 March 1979. The Armed Forces of Malta Air Squadron is based in the southern corner of the airport. The airport is located in the centre of the south eastern portion of the island.
Runway data: Rwy 14/32 Size: 11,627 x 197 ft (3544 x 60 m) & Rwy 06/24 Size: 7799 x 148 ft (2377 x 45m), Elev: 300 ft (91 m), Location: N35 51 26.99 E014 28 39.00, asphalt.

Qrendi
Qrendi was an airstrip built for the RAF and used 1940-1943. Exact location not known. Current status - presumed disused.
Runway data: Rwy ?, Size: ? x ? ft, Elev: ? ft.

Safi
Safi was an airstrip built for the RAF and used 1940-1943. Safi lay between the Luqa and Hal Far airfields. It was very close to Luqa and the two airfields were combined to form Luqa International Airport. Safi lies at the south-eastern end the International Airport's main runway.
Runway data: Rwy ?, Size: ? x ? ft, Elev: ? ft.

St Patrick's Barracks
St Patrick's Barracks in Luqa was the initial base of the Armed Forces of Malta Helicopter Flight. The hangar complex at St Patrick's had no refuelling facilities, so helicopters had to refuel at RAF Luqa. It subsequently reverted back to being a land forces barracks.
Runway data: Helicopter base only.

Ta Kali
Ta Kali (Ta'Qali) airfield was first built by the RAF during 1940 and extensively expanded in the next three years. It was transferred to the Fleet Air Arm on 1 April 1945 as HMS Goldfinch for use by a Fleet Requirements Unit. It returned to the RAF on 9 June 1953. Closed April 1968 and handed over to the Maltese Government. Ta Kali lies immediately to the east of Mdina, near to the centre of the island of Malta. Current status - presumed disused.
Runway data: Rwy ?, Size: ? x ? ft, Elev: ? ft.

Valletta
There is a helipad near Valletta harbour. Valletta is located in the central part of the eastern coast of the island.



Futher information on Maltese Airfields can be found here.

^ Top of Page  << Last Page   Index Page   Next Page >>  Site Search 
First Created: 21 June 2002 - Last Revised: 8 June 2006
Copyright 2002 John Hayles.     e-mail: john@aeroflight.co.uk