Back to Serbia Index Page
The Aviation Industry
There is a long history of successful aviation manufacturing in Yugoslavia. At least 8 aircraft manufacturers and numerous engine and equipment manufacturers have been established. Those listed below are Serbian organisations, while Letalski/LKB/LIBIS and Instituta LZS Branko Ivanus were Slovenian and SOKO was located on Bosnia-Hercegovina.
AERO TEHNICKI ZAVOD
Produced V.55 tandem-seat high-wing aircraft, flown 1959.
Boris Cijan won 1946 air force contest for light trainer. C-3 Trojka flown October 1947.
A company founded to develop the PPA-1 and PPA-2 powered by 1 and 2 ducted fans respectively. Yugoslav civil war ended the project.
M. Mitrovich was one of the most famous designers in Yugoslavia 1928-40. His most successful design being the MMS.3 light transport with twin tail-booms.
Also known as PSFA Rogojarsky. The aircraft factory of Zivojin Rogozarski was established in 1923, and had been working under this name until 1946 when it was merged with IKARUS. When it first started to work, the factory performed repairs of aircraft confiscated in the First World War, and soon started to manufacture local aircraft, and licensed manufacture too. The famous aircraft manufactured in this factory are: little Brandenburg, Fizir FN, Sim 14, R-100, IK-3, Hurricane Mk 1 and others. The factory Rogozarski has made a total of 286 aircraft. Factory workshops were located in Knez Danilova Street 25, and today in the same workshops are IKL plants.
The first Serbian industry of airplanes, cars and machinery, IKARUS AD was established in Novi Sad in 1923. In Zemun in 1927 a section of the factory was founded with its own airport. Here were designed and manufactured numerous local planes, as well as under license. Well-known aircraft of this factory were: Potez 15, Hawker Fury, Bristol Blenheim, IK-2 Orkan. After the war, in 1946, ZMAJ and ROGOZARSKI joined IKARUS as a wholly nationalised state aircraft industry, producing such aircraft as the S-49 fighter, Type 213 and Type 522 trainers, Type 214 crew-trainer/transport and Type 452 baby twin-jet. The IKARUS factory had manufactured in its workshops 475 aircraft up until 1962, when it stopped working for the aviation industry. The factory was in Zemun - Avijaticarski put 19, and today there are residential areas between Palmira Toljatija Street and the hotel "Yugoslavia"
The factory of aircraft and seaplanes of designers Petrovic and Steric. Zmaj-Zemun was founded in 1927 and was the third factory of such kind in Serbia. At the beginning it manufactured aircraft under French license, and in 1932 it started with local planes too. Recognized aircraft manufactured in this factory are: Dewoitine, Fizir, FP-2, Hawker Fury, Hawker Hurricane, and passenger Spartan to AEROPUT requirements. The Zmaj workshops manufactured in total 359 aircraft up until 1946, when the factory stopped manufacture for aviation industry purposes. The factory is located in Zemun, Karadjordjeva Street 18. Today, in its place, there is a small family house at the corner of Karadjordjeva Street and Djure Djakovica Street.
INDUSTRIJA AEROPLANSKIH MOTORA AD (factory of aircraft engines)
Founded in 1927 as a joint-stock company with 50% of foreign capital, with workshops in Rakovica. The factory was nationalized in 1936. It manufactured under license the modern aircraft engines: Jupiter (Gnome-Rhone), then K-7, K-9 and K-14. The first "PRAGA" trucks were assembled in this factory during 1940. After the World War II it was renamed to Industrija Motora Rakovica - IMR, in which a section intended for such purposes continued to manufacture and overhaul aircraft engines.
FACTORY OF AIRCRAFT ENGINES S.VLAJKOVI AND SONS
The carpentry workshop of Svetozar Vlajkovic started in 1925 with revisions of Breguet XIV aircraft and aircraft engines, in Pozorina Street 63 (today Francuska Street, near "KOMPRESOR"). They soon started to manufacture the Walter NZ engine in new plants in Rakovica, where today are located plants of "JUGOFRIGO" factory.
MEMORANDUM TELEOPTIK AD
The first Yugoslav factory of telephony, optics and fine mechanics, established in 1922 in Francuska Street 61 in Belgrade. In 1928 it started with the production of aircraft instruments. At the beginning the aircraft instruments, equipment, coolers and such were made under license, and from 1935 to its own designs as well. Before the start of the war, in 1940 the factory was relocated to Zemun. In 1985 a special-purpose part of the factory separated under the name "TELEOPTIK ZIROSKOPI", which became in 1989 an independent enterprise. The factory still works under the same name today, but its line of business have been extended, and
its still produces and overhauls aircraft equipment and instruments. The factory is located in Zemun, in Cara Duana Street 139-141.
PROSPEKT NESTOR AD
A factory of precision mechanics founded in 1938 in Belgrade. It manufactured aircraft instruments to local aircraft factory requirements, but also for the military industry in general. The factory is located in Kralja Aleksandra Street 312, today Bul. revolucije. After the World War II factory was nationalized and taken over by INDUSTRIJA PRECIZNE MEHANIKE (factory of precision mechanics).
An enterprise for optics and precision mechanics founded in 1931 in Belgrade. They designed and manufactured aircraft instruments; they also performed tests and adjusting of aircraft and optical instruments. After the war, in 1947 the enterprise joined the factory TESLA. It was located in Kralja Aleksandra Street 94 (today Bul. revolucije). The location of ex-plants is across in the School of Electrical Engineering.
PROSPEKT JASENICA AD
This was the first factory in Serbia before the war which produced spark-plugs under license and repaired aircraft LOREN engines. Its head office was in Belgrade, Kraljevski trg 15/V (today Akademski trg) while the factory was in Smederevska Palanka; today it is "GOA".
Founded in Zemun in 1937 as a cooperative for the production of gliders. During 1939/1940 Utva was moved to Pancevo to the meadows of the airport there and started to maintain Bucker training aircraft. After the war the factory first started to repair aircraft and make equipment and from 1948 to manufacture aircraft. The known aircraft types are: Trojka, Type 212, Type 213, Utva-65, Utva-66, Utva-75, parts for the Orao (Eagle) and Super Galeb G-4 (Seagull), as well as parts and equipment for foreign partners. In the factory workshops have been manufactured about 900 aircraft. The factory in May 1996 was integrated with "LOLA" from eleznik, and is hoping for better days, which are expected after the signing of contract with foreign partners. It is located in Pancevo, Jabucki put bb. On the first night of NATO aggression the factory was hit with missiles and suffered a lot of damage. It was a target more than once.
VAZDUHOPLOVNI ZAVOD "MOMA STANOJLOVI"
A workshop for the overhaul of aircraft engines, founded in 1949, and extended in 1952 to become Vazduhoplovno-tehnicki remontni zavod "Moma Stanojlovic" with its head office in Kneevac, near Belgrade. In 1971 it integrated with VTRZ "Jastreb" (Hawk) from Zemun. The company has used its current name since 1976, and since 1977 it has been located at Batajnica Airport. Within their programmes they perform overhaul of sub-sonic and supersonic aircraft MiG-21, ORAO, GALEB, Super GALEB, JASTREB, An-2, An-26, CANADAIR, Utva, Zlin, helicopters Gazelle, Alouette, Mi-2, Mi-8, Mi-17, as well as numerous piston, propeller and free turbine engines. The other segment is repair and maintenance of radio-navigational equipment, flying and photo equipment. The company has mastered production of a large number of parts and equipment for aviation industry purposes, has highly skilled staff and laboratories for various different purposes. The company address is: 11274 Batajnica, Nesvrstanih zemalja 160. During the NATO aggression it was bombed a few times and was hardly damaged.
FABRIKA PADOBRANA KNEBL I DITRIH (factory of parachutes)
A factory was established in 1923 in India as the "factory of flying equipment, parachutes and leather suits". It was the first, since 1934, in Yugoslavia to produce parachutes - at the beginning under license from the American factory "IRWIN" company, and then also home designed parachutes "SPAS", which was patented by a co-owner of the factory, Miroslav Ditrih, in 1930. Up until World War Two it had produced in total up to 2500 examples of various parachutes. After the war, the factory was nationalized in 1947, when it was moved to Belgrade, and was given a new name "FRANJO KLUZ".
PROSPEKT KLUZ - factory of parachutes
The factory of parachutes and ready-made garments, founded in Belgrade in 1947. Produces for sports and military aviation manufactures various types of parachutes, equipment and other needs. Production programme includes landing, training, sports, pilot, emergency, brake, cargo and other special parachutes, Para gliders and other special equipment, overalls, suits, armor vests etc. The factory is located in Belgrade, Franje Kluz Street 1.
DVADESETPRVI MAJ BEOGRAD (DMB) FACTORY OF TURBO ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS
Founded in 1948 with a production programme of aircraft engines. Today located in Rakovica where license-built jet engines "ASTAZOU" XIV M1 for helicopters "GAZELLE" and "GAMA", parts for the jet engines "VIPER" 632-41, 632-46, 636-41, transmissions for helicopters, rotor hubs, and many other special parts. The factory is located in Rakovica (11091 Beograd), ul. Oslobodjenja 1.
A company working successfully for more then 30 years on consulting and engineering jobs in the realization of air bases and airports all over the world. It was organized to manage projects from the idea to the facility in use, including training, maintenance, supply and servicing of equipment. The company is located in New Belgrade, Bul. Nikole Tesle 42a.
INSTITUTE "MIHAJLO PUPIN"
The associates and working teams of the Institute in their laboratories for computer systems, automation, robotics and telecommunications have developed and realized many projects in the aviation field, such as flying simulators for thr training of pilots, visual systems for simulators, simulators for training of anti-aircraft artillerymen, systems for detection of radar emitters etc. The Institute is located in Volgina Street 15, at Zvezdara.
INSTITUT ZA VAZDUHOPLOVSTVO (Aeronautical Institute)
A research institute and developing institute of the flight dept. of the School of Mechanical Engineering in Belgrade, which organizes scientific, research and developing the designs of the flight dept. Fields of work are: aerodynamics, flight mechanics, structures, stability, aircraft structures, propulsion etc. The Institute is located at the School of Mechanical Engineering, 27. marta St. 80.
MINELINENJERING - EVING
Enterprise for electric energy and flight engineering. Located at Belgrade, Ljutice Bogdana Street 1a, tel: 011/235-2534; 235-2664
Thanks to Milan Jovanovic for this information.