National Markings
Irish Air Corps

This section describes and illustrates the various national insignia used by the Irish Air Force since its formation:



Main MarkingFin Flash

1922-1923
The first Irish national marking was a roundel and rudder stripes in the style of the RAF, but using the colours from the Irish flag. The roundel was carried above and below each wing, but not on the fuselage sides.



Main MarkingFin Flash

1923-1939
In 1923 the national markings were changed to simple stripes in the national colours chordwise across the wings. The rudder stripes were retained.



Main MarkingFin Flash

1939-1954
During World War Two, and shortly afterwards, the main marking was changed to a ‘Celtic boss’ insignia of green and orange. This marking was carried on the upper wing surface and fuselage sides. On camouflaged aircraft the fuselage roundel appeared on a white square. The pre-war wing stripes were retained for the wing lower surfaces. The rudder stripes were deleted.




Main MarkingFin Flash

1954-present
In 1954 the roundel was redesigned to include a section of white, restoring the trio of colours shown in the national flag. The main marking is displayed on the fuselage sides of helicopters, and in the standard six positions on aircraft. The national flag is sometimes carried as a fin flash. Most of the larger aircraft carry the service titles IRISH AIR CORPS – AER CHÓR na h-ÉIREANN on the fuselage sides.

Leave a Comment