Palmach Flying Platoon
Aeroflight Home Page
 World Air Forces
Back to Units Index Page

Israel
Air Force


Unit History


Palmach Flying Platoon

(No nickname known)
Role: Pilot Training/Liaison

The Palmach (Hebrew acronym for Plugoth Mahatz = Shock Companies) was first formed in 1941 by the Haganah (the secret army of the Jewish Agency) to help defend Palestine against possible invasion by Axis forces. It took the form of a popular militia, composed of men prepared to defend their home town or village. In 1945 a Flying Platoon was established with eight Palmach members who had previously gained their pilot's licences with Aviron, (which was also owned by the Jewish Agency). the historical seed of the Hagana pre-state "air force". The unit borrowed aircraft from Aviron as required. During 1947 there was a rapid increase in tension between the Jewish and Arab populations and also with the British security forces. As a consequence, the unit was tasked with conducting many supply and communications flights to Haganah forces in the Negev region, and also the reconnaissance of possible targets and strategic points. The Platoon was superseded by the formation of the Sherut Avir (Air Service) in November 1947, and the establishment of the Tel Aviv Squadron.

Air Bases:
Base Duration
kibbutz Mishmar Ha'Emek 1945 - 1946
kibbutz Na'an* 1946- 1947
* = located just south of Lydda.

Aircraft Used:
Type Qty Service Badge Example Serials
(borrowed from Aviron)   - 

Unit Insignia:
Figure 1
to be added



^ Top of Page  << Last Page   Index Page   Next Page >>  Site Search 
First Created: 1 February 1998 - Last Revised: 4 December 1999
Copyright © 1998 John Hayles.     e-mail: john@aeroflight.co.uk