The unit was formed on 27.7.1967 at Base Aérea La Chamiza/Puerto Montt and moved to Base Aérea El Tepual/Puerto Montt on 22.11.1967 .
At about 1997 the unit was composed of Grupo de Aviación 3 (Attack) with A-36, Grupo de Aviación 5 (Communication) with CASA 212 and Escadrilla de Enlace 15 with five T-35B and two Bo-105.
The unit was formed in 1928 as Grupo Mixto de Aviación N° 3 at Base Aérea Maquehue/Temuco with Vickers 116 Vixen. From 1934 the group was reequipped with Curtiss O-1E Falcon. In 1937 the unit became part of II Brigada Aérea at that time at Base Aérea Maquehue. Three years later III Brigada Aérea was established at this base and Grupo de Aviación 3 became part of it. In 1942 the unit received Vultee BT-13 Valiant training aircraft and in 1945 North American AT-6 Texan.
The unit was disbanded in 1965 and reactivated as a helicopter unit in 1971 with Hiller UH-12E and from 1972 with Bell UH-1H. The group was disbanded again in 1981 and only reactivated in 1992, when ten additional Cessna A-37B arrived in country. When the unit was reequipped with A-36 Halcon in 1995, the A-37B moved to Grupo de Aviación 12. The unit was again deactivated in 2003 and its aircraft concentrated at Grupo de Aviación 1, only to be reactivated in 2006 at Base Aérea Los Cóndores at Iquique, part of I Brigada Aérea, with ten new Lockheed F-16C/D Fighting Falcon.
The unit was formed as Escudrilla de Anfibios Nº 1 on 27.7.1929 with Vickers Vendette at Base Aérea El Bosque/Santiago. On 15.11.1929 the unit moved to Base Aérea La Chamiza/Puerto Montt. The unit was expanded in 1936 and became Grupo de Aviación 5, part of II Brigada Aérea from 1937. In 1940 it became part of III Brigada Aérea at Base Aérea Maquehue/Temuco. In 1944 the unit consisted of seven North American AT-6 Texan, five Vultee BT-13 Valiant, five Fairchild PT-19 and two Avro 626.
In 1949 the unit became a fighter unit, when it received Republic F-47D Thunderbolt from Grupo de Aviación 2 and moved to Base Aérea Quintero/Valparaiso. After a reorganisation in 1954, the unit was part of Ala Base 1 and was now a communication unit at Base Aérea La Chamiza/Puerto Montt again, as all remaining Republic F-47D were centralized at Grupo de Aviación 11. In 1956 the group received five Beech C50 Twin Bonanza and in 1957 five de Havilland DHC-3 Otter. In 1967 the unit became part of the recently formed Ala Base 5. The main equipment of the unit is now the de Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter. An Escuadrilla de Enlace operates two Cessna O-2A Skymaster from Mataveri IAP on Rapa Nui.
No unit history known.
No unit history known.
Role: Air Defense.
The unit was formed on 1.4.1957 as Batería Antiaérea Experimental Nº 4 and got its present name in 1966, part of Ala Base Nº 5.
Grupo de Telecomunicaciones y Detección N° 35
The unit was formed as Grupo de Comunicaciones y Detección Nº 35 in 1968 (1981??).